Monday, October 8, 2012

Dad is a Pioneer

Last week was a very special week for my family. My Dad was honored by the National Dairy Shrine as a dairy industry Pioneer.

The National Dairy Shrine is a sort of hall of fame for the dairy industry. The organization honors leaders and dairy producers who have done exemplary work in the dairy industry, and also gives away thousands of dollars in scholarships to college students interested in the dairy industry. Dad was president in 1988, and was always very supportive of the organization.

At the Shrine's annual banquet last week, Don, Dave and Mary were there, along with Dave's wife Cynthia and Mary's son Micah. My wife Kelly and kids Maggie and Jack were there too to share in the honor. The only family member not there was Tom. Our cousin Bob came up from Rockford.

During the ceremony, a member of the Dairy Shrine board went through the five Pioneer designees. He read Dad's bio (find a release from the Shrine here) then I got to say a few words. I introduced my family, then said that it was an honor for us because, for one, Dad turned 90 in August. Plus, because he has Alzheimers, he doesn't remember anything about what he accomplished in his career. But this award helps us know that the dairy industry has not forgotten, and that means a lot to us.

I also said that if Dad were there to accept the award himself, he no doubt would have deflected the accolades and instead thanked all of the people that he worked with through his career, and especially his family. He never accepted all of the credit himself, for anything.

My Dad was a true pioneer, even back to his days on the farm. I remember reading in his book how he built farrowing crates in the early 50's from a plan he got from ISU Extension. It had to be one of the first built in western Iowa. When Dad built a parlor in 1965, it was the first double-herringbone in Iowa. At the Brown Swiss Cattle Breeders Association, he developed the Association's marketing arm, and started a program for identifying grade animals that was adopted across the dairy industry. He exported thousands of animals around the world in the 80's, when agriculture income was suffering and dairy producers needed all of the income they could get. In the early 90's he was the first CEO of the U.S. Livestock Genetics Export Council.

As much as he was an industry pioneer, he was a great husband and father. It was great to remember him in that way last week.

Dad couldn't make it to the banquet - he stayed at the nursing home. Mom and Mary visited him on Wednesday, and when Mom told him that he was getting an award, Dad said "I am?" It was bittersweet that he was surprised at such an honor, and we certainly wish that he could have been there in person. But it was a great night nonetheless.

3 comments:

  1. Mike,

    Hi. My name is Alice Spicer, and I have recently launched a non-profit organization dedicated to eliminating the stigma associated with Alzheimer's and dementia through publication of creative work. Basically, I want to provide a platform for their voices to penetrate nursing home walls and be heard in the public arena.

    Here is our website: http://alzheimerchronicles.com

    I am writing to ask your support in helping people become aware of a fundraising campaign we are doing for the first publication, "Alzheimer Chronicles: The Invisible Poets," an illustrated collection of short stories. After almost two years worth of weekly storytelling workshops, I think it is about time that others are exposed to these valuable stories. The cognitively unchallenged people in this world have a lot to learn from our forgetful friends.

    Here is a video, which demonstrates the level of depth and meaning in their stories:

    People or Targets

    I hope that you will pass this information along to your friends and colleagues. Our campaign, on Kickstarter.com ends December 5th. We have about 24% funding so far, with 21 days to go.

    Thank you for your time and consideration.

    Take care,
    Alice Spicer

    ReplyDelete
  2. HOW I GOT CURED OF HERPES VIRUS.

    Hello everyone out there, i am here to give my testimony about a herbalist called dr imoloa. i was infected with herpes simplex virus 2 in 2013, i went to many hospitals for cure but there was no solution, so i was thinking on how i can get a solution out so that my body can be okay. one day i was in the pool side browsing and thinking of where i can get a solution. i go through many website were i saw so many testimonies about dr imoloa on how he cured them. i did not believe but i decided to give him a try, i contacted him and he prepared the herpes for me which i received through DHL courier service. i took it for two weeks after then he instructed me to go for check up, after the test i was confirmed herpes negative. am so free and happy. so, if you have problem or you are infected with any disease kindly contact him on email drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com. or / whatssapp --+2347081986098.
    This testimony serve as an expression of my gratitude. he also have
    herbal cure for, FEVER, DIARRHOEA, MOUTH ULCER, MOUTH CANCER FATIGUE, MUSCLE ACHES, LUPUS, SKIN CANCER, PENILE CANCER, BREAST CANCER, PANCREATIC CANCER, CHRONIC KIDNEY DISEASE, VAGINAL CANCER, CERVICAL CANCER, DISEASE, JOINT PAIN, POLIO DISEASE, PARKINSON'S DISEASE, ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE, CYSTIC FIBROSIS, SCHIZOPHRENIA, CORNEAL ULCER, EPILEPSY, FETAL ALCOHOL SPECTRUM, LICHEN PLANUS, COLD SORE, SHINGLES, CANCER, HEPATITIS A, B. DIABETES 1/2, HIV/AIDS, CHRONIC PANCERATIC, CHLAMYDIA, ZIKA VIRUS, EMPHYSEMA, LOW SPERM COUNT, ENZYMA, DRY COUGH, ARTHRITIS, LEUKAEMIA, LYME DISEASE, ASTHMA, IMPOTENCE, BARENESS/INFERTILITY, WEAK ERECTION, PENIS ENLARGEMENT. AND SO ON.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'M TOTALLY CURED FROM ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE  I am 65 years old,and i have been diagnosed with Alzheimer's diseases this neuron disease started 25 years before being revealed, it was triggered the moment i started eating sugars including any and almost all carbs that break down to glycerol,and i have been on the best  medical treatment approved by united states,(FDA) i have been taking Cholinesterase,Memantine to treat my memory loss,confusion and the problems with my thinking and reasoning.just to help slow the progression and manage the symptoms,as no cure exists. gradually I developed Insomnia,chronic headache,weight loss,muscle cramps,diarrhea,vomiting,nausea,dizziness and i was losing it all as i can,t remember who i was and the people around me as my brain cells keep declining.My body systems do not agree any more with allopathy medical recommendations of drugs and surgery is not the best treatment.I made a research on naturopathy is the best way to get cure from Alzheimer and dementia,as nature has the power to heal all kinds of diseases when herbal medicine are been used in a right proportions.during my reach on naturopathy herbal medicine,I came across Dr. James herbal mix medicine West Africa and the wonders he does curing all kinds of diseases with his powerful herbal mix medicine from herbs and roots extracts .without no hesitation I contacted him on his Email address that was provided (DRJAMESHERBALMIX@GMAIL.COM) I told him my problems and all i have been fighting this incurable diseases with allopathy medical recommendations,and he told me not to be worried that he will help me with a permanent cure as nature has the power to cure all illness.I never doubted him.then he told me to pay some amount which i did. Days  later,He prepared his herbal mix medicine and sent it to me through EMS courier service.I used his herbal mix medicine as i was told for 4 weeks.He told me that his herbal mix medicine will help me to reduce the abnormal protein fold inside my neurons,and regulate the nutrients and molecules in my body system,and as well stop the progressive disorder that build up in damaging my brain cells,and help my weak cells  that causes  brain shrinking to function well,its a good herbal drinks for cell reparing.This doctor James is super great man and his herbal mix medicine is wonderful and works effectively as he said,with no side effects.Brothers and sisters father and mother,there is a permanent cure to Alzheimer's diseases,I'm a living testimony and I Was cured totally from Alzheimer's disease.I recommand anyone with different health challenges to contact Dr.James and permanently get rid of the diseases you been suffering from.do not let that disease kill you when Dr James can help you with a permanent  cure.All you needs to do is to contact him on his email and tell him your health challenges and get his strong herbal mix medicne.Reach him on his Email address  (drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com)  and he  said he got permanent cures for the followings diseases.Schizophrenia,Bipolar,DIABETES, HPV,SHINGLES,CANCER, ALS, HEPATITIS B, KIDNEY DISEASE, HERPES, Ovarian Cancer,Pancreatic cancers, Bladder cancer,Skin cancer, Prostate cancer, Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Autism,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,psoriasis ,Tach Diseases,Lupus,Dementia.kidney cancer, lung cancer....I believe my testimony will be of help to you as well thank you.

    ReplyDelete